Tuesday, February 21, 2012

NYC Break 2: Day 2

I can't believe I'm already on day 3 of my adventure... but you don't want to hear about that right now (because I just got up and what I've done so far isn't blog worthy)(hint: I took OFF my glasses... then put them on again). Now it's time to recap my yesterday!
It was a mother-daughter day! Mama and I had the day all to ourselves, leaving Papa to fend for himself in the big bad city. Word is, he went to the Staten Island Ferry, Ground Zero, and probably a couple of other places.
But enough about that lovely man. On to my day with my mama!
We started off by going to a flea market! It was called the Antiques Flea Market and Garage Sale... or something. I don't really remember. But it was HUGE. It was literally a garage, but one of those parking garages. In short, I've never seen so many vendors in one place. And it was 2 stories!
The first person I met was a man named Ziggy. He looked like your typical Hell's Angel, really butch, with a scraggly white beard, bald head, and sunglasses on inside the building. When I was going through his lot, he was selling polyester blazers with incredible patterns on them to an extremely flamboyant man. When the man wanted to pay by cheque and no one could find a pen, I stepped in to save the day! That's when conversation started. Ziggy started to spell his name for Louis (the man) and explained how difficult it is for people to spell Polish names.
"People spell anything polish wrong," he said, "For instance, say your name was Cat..."
"My name is Cat!" I responded, in shock and awe.
And that's where the friendship of the century started. But it didn't last long. He was a character, though. I couldn't stop staring at the veins in his nose... they were so prevalent! He was also name dropping left, right, and center, which was really interesting. However, uninterested by his wares (and the prices of them), I moved on.
I roamed around the stalls, going around and around, until I got to the very back of the garage. There there was a lot that was EXTREMELY laid out. This woman knew what she was doing. And looking through her clothing showed me that she knew how to shop vintage. The dresses were impeccable, the jackets were to die for, and the blouses were gorgeous. I pulled a couple of things and even got to try them on!
The first was a dress from the 70s which was honestly the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. Warm enough to be worn in the late fall without leggings or anything, the print was your typical psychedelic 70s. Needless to say, I was in love, but I decided not to get it. What I DID get, however, was a short, party dress from the 50s. We're talking a green, subtle peacock print dress that sits just above the knee and has a off the shoulder sweetheart neckline. Photos to come, obvs.
Content with my purchase, I moved on. Suddenly, Cat spotted a wild PERIOD TAIL COAT.
CAT DROOLS
CAT MISSED
PERIOD TAIL COAT USED I'M TOO EXPENSIVE FOR YOU
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE
CAT MOVES ON... Sadly...
But it WAS gorgeous! Grey with black accents... uuuh... but the vendor told us about a friend of hers selling just down the row that had a tail coat, too. Not grey or black, but a camel one with black velvet accents. Mama and I decided to check it out. On the way to that vendor, she got a lamp base FILLED with blue, turquoise, and green sea glass, and I saw a dress from the Victorian era. No shit. And she had multiple pieces of clothing from that era...
Finally we got to the vendor with the tail coat... and it was Ziggy! Fancy that! He was, once again, a sweetheart, and I ended up getting the jacket.
After that, my mom and I began making our way towards the subway to get to War Horse... and found a cute little Vintage store that was having a sale! We walked in, and it was just colour as far as the eye could see.
I didn't get anything because I'm cheap, but I did see this beautiful lamp before I headed out the doors, and HAD to get a picture of it.
Isn't she beautiful? Anyway, we left and hopped on the nearest subway to take us to the Lincoln Center.
Let me tell you all something. "War Horse" was the most amazing marriage of sound, lights, set, acting and puppetry I have ever seen. I was SO blown away by what I had seen. I was on the edge of my seat at every moment, cried like a baby multiple times, and was scared to death on many occasions. I have nothing but amazing things to say about this beautiful, beautiful show.
Since the show started at 3, was two hours and 45 minutes long, and our next show started at 7, mama and I booked it out of the theatre (after I used the bathroom, of course) and skedaddled downtown to the Eugene O'Neil! After a quick pizza, we were finally in the theatre with Papa, front row Mezzanine, to watch "The Book of Mormon!" It as a fun, fun show, but not the best musical I have seen. However, aside from that fact, the spectacle of it all was phenomenal. The singing was spot on, the dancing was fantastic, and the set... well... the set was just something else. But I was a little disappointed that what I saw wasn't what I was expecting. Because of its controversial subject matter and because it won the Tony for Best Musical, there has been all this hype surrounding it, and in my eyes, it did not live up to that hype. Would I see it again? Maybe. Will I listen to the soundtrack over and over and remember each and every scene that happened around those songs? Definitely.
We got out late and wandered back to our hotel, but I wasn't there long. Jeff and Erik are also spending their break in NYC, so we decided to meet up and just chat. We ended up in Erik's hotel room in the Yotel Hotel... which is basically a futuristic rave. You can see the purple neon from the front of the building reflecting on the building in front of it for a couple of blocks. And the inside is SUPER futuristic! His bed slid out with the push of a button, there was a seat with a buckle (you know, just in case) and the bathroom was made of glass! At least, the walls were. Overall, a really neat room. We played Sociables with REALLY shitty beer, and some gorgeous pictures were taken...


They stole my camera. It's their own fault.
Eventually, it was time for me to go home, but before stopping by my place. we got a quick bit to eat at a fancy McDonalds! It's so fancy, in fact, that even their ketchup packets are fancy. 
The packaging doesn't lie. It NEVER lies.

But then they dropped me off at home and I passed out, exhausted.
But that was my Day 2! Stay tuned for Day 3 (which will be documented when I have an ample amount of time. These things take a while to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment